Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Earth Angel

My stocking feet
glide across the gym floor
like a figure skater in
an ice palace.
My left hand reclines demurely
on his right shoulder.

oh, oh, oh,
wah-ah-ah,
oh, oh, oh

My right hand is nestled
like a baby robin
in his much larger palm.
I close my eyes to fend off
a wave of dizziness as he
twirls me in circles.

The vision of your love-loveliness


My powder blue angora cardigan is
securely buttoned down the back.
My pony tail swishes softly
from side to side.
My circle skirt floats like a parachute
above a thermal current
of crinolines.

the vision of your hap-happiness

I open one eye to steal a glance
at Connie as she sails by with Kent.
His duck tail glistens in the reflected
light bouncing off the bleachers.
Her braces sparkle as
she smiles up at him.

oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh , oh, oh, oh

Our chaperones slouch silently in the corner
Coach Stevens glares at one of his players,
Bruce Johnson, as he wraps both arms
around his partner’s waist.
He’ll pay the price tomorrow
in laps around the track.

No comments: